History

OUR LADY OF SEVEN SORROWS, MASKWACIS (Hobbema)

1885               House – chapel on Ermineskin Reserve, erected by Brothers Bowes and Lambert, OMI.

1894               Second church, built by Brothers Bowes and Lambert, OMI. Inaugurated at Christmas Midnight Mass and dedicated to Our Lady of Seven Sorrows by Pastor, Rev. Victorin Gabillon, OMI.

1940               Third church constructed on Ermineskin Reserve.

02 June 1940  Inaugurated by Archbishop John Hugh MacDonald, who blessed the church, a bell and canonically erected the Stations of the Cross.

1959                Fourth – Teepee Church, built on Ermineskin Reserve

27 October 1960          Coadjutor – Archbishop Anthony Jordan, OMI solemnly dedicated the new church.

18 December 1960       Canonically erected as a Parish.

01 January 2014          Name of Hobbema officially changed to Maskwacis.